Memory leak on redraw in TeeChart v8.0.0.3 unicode

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
marko

Memory leak on redraw in TeeChart v8.0.0.3 unicode

Post by marko » Thu May 29, 2008 7:55 am

We recently upgraded from TeeChart v6 to v8.0.0.3 ActiveX Unicode version and soon noticed a memory leak whenever a graph is visible.

Memory allocation seems to grow 64-80kB on every update, in our application it totals to around 5MB per minute. Memory is not freed when the graph data is cleared. Memory allocation does not grow when the graph is hidden, even if new points are added to it.

This symptom did not occur with previous v6. Only the mandatory changes were made during the upgrade, the way of handling the graphs was not altered. Our application is built using C++, Visual Studio .NET 2003. It is a native (non .NET) Win32 application. I debugged it using Compuware BoundsChecker, but could not find the leak source in our own code.

Can you please give any hints of what to do? These issues seem somewhat similar:
http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtopic.php?t=3717
http://www.berneda.com/publicnews/steem ... 000000.htm

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu May 29, 2008 9:43 am

Hi marko,

Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here?

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

The forums/newsgroups threads you pointed out are about TeeChart for .NET. Therefore those issues don't apply to TeeChart Pro ActiveX.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

marko

Post by marko » Thu May 29, 2008 1:38 pm

I uploaded a compiled example program VCTeeChart5, that shows the same problem. First press "Conventional 'Add' with Paging". Then browse thru pages with arrow buttons. Every graph redraw consumes about 10-20kB of memory, that can be seen in Task Manager. To my understanding no new data points are added on browse events so memory allocation should not grow.

I guess you have the same source code, I did not change it at all. Except for VisualStudio had to convert the project to newer version format before compiling.

On my computer the example was installed in folder "C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart Pro v8 ActiveX Control\Examples\Visual C++\Version 6\Add data arrays"

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:39 am

Hi marko,

Thanks for the information. We have been able to reproduce the issue here and added it (TA05013105) to our defect list to be investigated for next releases.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

marko

Post by marko » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 am

Greetings,

Do you have any information when the memory leak bug will be fixed? It does not seem to be fixed in 8.0.0.4 yet.

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:00 am

Hello,

we cannot tell you a fixed date. We'll do all the efforts in order to be fixed for the next v8.0.0.5 (which I think will be prepared in three months).

marko

TA05013105

Post by marko » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Pep wrote:Hello,

we cannot tell you a fixed date. We'll do all the efforts in order to be fixed for the next v8.0.0.5 (which I think will be prepared in three months).
The issue was not mentioned in release notes of v8.0.0.5, so I have been waiting for next release. Also according to my test the bug has not been fixed.

Are you planning to do anything with this? About 9 months have now passed since my original bug report.

jer_m

Re: Memory leak on redraw in TeeChart v8.0.0.3 unicode

Post by jer_m » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Has this issue been fixed?
I have done some initial testing using version "TeeChart Pro v2010.0.0.3.11109" and it appears to still be present. I'm hoping I can simply update to a newer version but I haven't seen a reference to the bug in any of the release notes. If the bug is still present do you have any potential workarounds, were you able to find the cause of the bug? Any info on how I might be able to avoid it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jerron

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Jerron,

I'm afraid the TA05013105 ticket is still open. However, as many changes have been made to the drawing process in the VCL version, I won't be surprised if this had changed.
I'm actually trying to reproduce it here both with v8.0.1.1 and v2011.0.0.5 following the instructions here, and I see the memory constant in the Task Manager.
I might be missing some relevant step. I'm trying it both in Debug and Release mode, I'm waiting a few seconds between each action to let the application stabilize,...
Could you please give a try to the latest v8 version (v8.0.1.1) and to the actual evaluation version (v2011.0.0.5)?
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

jer_m

Post by jer_m » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:04 am

Hi Yeray,

Thank you for your help and quick response. We were able to install the latest version of Teechart and have been doing some extensive testing. We are narrowing down on the issue, our suspicion is that the bug is not present in the any of the versions we have tested. We are thinking this has to do with the computer we are testing on.

Best regards,
Jerron

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Jerron,

Well, that's good news! (Even if the exact cause of the problem isn't clear)
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy