Problem: TDBChart corrupts D2006 help system. URGENT!

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
DJ

Problem: TDBChart corrupts D2006 help system. URGENT!

Post by DJ » Mon May 08, 2006 2:22 am

If any of the database teechart components are installed on D2006 Pro, the help system becomes unuseable. I need to be able to install Teechart 7.07 into D2006 WITHOUT any database or quickreports support(this used to be possible because the db support was in separate packages). Note I have the source code version of Teechart 7 Pro.

Steema should also look at isolating and fixing this problem, I am not the only one who has complained of this in the Dephi news groups. Only recently, someone else found the connection between the design time db teechart support and the help system.

If I uninstall teechart, my help system works correctly. Once teechart is reinstalled and then used(even non db charts) in a project, the help system gets corrupted, i.e. pressing F1 does not bring up a correct topic list.

I need complete instructions on how to compile and install the Teechart components into the BDS2006 without installing any DB or quickreports support.

Thanks

Dan Sox

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon May 08, 2006 8:34 am

Hi Dan,

This issue is currently fixed in v7.07 maintenance release.

The problem was that the unit Borland created to make compatible HTML based help with .hlp help, which is called WinHelpViewer, works in Delphi 2005 but corrupts the help system in Delphi 2006. We already added the issue at Borland's Quality Central.

To install TeeChart Pro v7.07 using source code installer, you just need to download and run it.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

DJ

Post by DJ » Mon May 08, 2006 1:41 pm

Hi Narcis,
I just uninstalled and reinstalled TC 7.07 and still have the same problem. I used the automatic installer. Am I missing something? This is a clean d2006 install with Teechart being the first and so far only 3rd party component installed.

I will try it again.

Dan

DJ

Still have help problem in TC 7.07

Post by DJ » Tue May 09, 2006 3:53 am

Hi Narcis,
I have a clean install of BDS2006 and TC7.07, doing win32 development. As soon as I drop a TC on a form, my help system is corrupted.

Is there any work around to this?

Could you give me the QC number so that I can follow up on it?

Will this help corruption be a problem with applications I deploy that use TC and HTML help?

On the Borland newsgroup, someone implied that it was just the DB parts of TC that are the issue, is this so? If so, can you give me some steps to remove the DB components from the TC install, I have the sources.

Can you point me to the area of the WinHelpViewer file where the error manifests itself?

Any help would be appreciated, for now it looks like I will once again be helpless! :)

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue May 09, 2006 9:44 am

Hi DJ,
I have a clean install of BDS2006 and TC7.07, doing win32 development. As soon as I drop a TC on a form, my help system is corrupted.

Is there any work around to this?
I've already tested it here and works fine for me. Can you please check that BDS2006 is really using v7.07 packages? Please check that the search paths point to this version at project\options\directories/conditionals.
Could you give me the QC number so that I can follow up on it?
Sorry but I can't give you that. Actually, it was directly sent to Borland. However, you could add another issue at QC without mentioning that happens in TeeChart.
Will this help corruption be a problem with applications I deploy that use TC and HTML help?
Since the problem is fixed that shouldn't happen.
On the Borland newsgroup, someone implied that it was just the DB parts of TC that are the issue, is this so? If so, can you give me some steps to remove the DB components from the TC install, I have the sources.

I've tested it here and that doesn't happen using TChart nor TDBChart.
Can you point me to the area of the WinHelpViewer file where the error manifests itself?
You'll find WinHelpViewer's reference in TeeEditCha.pas but you'll also find that it is already commented since v7.07 release.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

DJ

Okay it's working now!

Post by DJ » Tue May 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks Narcis,
I have it working now. Somehow, I had gone ahead and installed another package, DSP Master for TC, that uses TC and it is causing the problem now. I will contac them directly.

But with just TC installed, and with a test project using a chart all works fine. Thanks for the help, it will be so nice having F1 help available.

Is there a version 8 of TC coming soon?

Thanks,

Dan

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue May 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Dan,

I'm glad to hear you could finally solve that issue.

Regarding v8, it is what we are currently working on in the VCL field. We can't still give a date for its release.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

DJ

Problem Solved

Post by DJ » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:31 am

Narcis,

I can report that using the re-compile tool does in fact solve this problem.

Thanks for the help!

dan

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Hi dan,

We are currently uploading TeeChart v7.08 Pro and Std installers for Delphi 2006 to our website. This build solves the help issue.

v7.08 installers will be available in a while at our Customer Download Area.

Before installing v7.08 please remove all v7.07 packages references in BDS 2006, don't forget to remove old assemblies search path at Components\Installed .NET Components\Assembly Search Paths.
Best Regards,
Steema Software