Mark tips tool does not work with various series

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
VH1
Advanced

Mark tips tool does not work with various series

Post by VH1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Each of these series:

Surface
Waterfall
Contour
Triangle Surface
Tower
Vector 3D
Polar
Radar
Pyramid
Candle
Volume
Point & Figure (Occasionaly)
Arrow
Funnel

All of which are set to 2D and all defaults.
Last edited by VH1 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:18 pm

Hello,

Please could you summarise your issues in one post. We are finding it difficult following the threads in the way you're posting them. We'll use this summary as the base for looking at all the issues you report.

We may need to clear some of your later posts for housekeeping.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

VH1
Advanced

Post by VH1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:23 pm

I am just using Teechart as I go and raising them accordingly as I find possible problems. I thought it best to raise them as seperate ones so we have one thread for each issue.

However, if you prefer I can put them all into one.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi VH1,

Regarding the issue you posted in the first post on this thread, it is a known issue and it is already on our wish-list to be enhanced for future releases.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

VH1
Advanced

Post by VH1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:03 pm

I am confused now. Does your comment apply to all the series types mentioned in my first post of this thread?

No matter which series type I use, I would expect all Tools to work.

If they do not, then I would consider that a bug, not an enhancement?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 am

Hi VH1,

Yes, this applies to all series you mentioned. Actually TriSurface and ColorGrid now have Clicked method support but the others have not. This is why the tool is not working on them. I guess that the reason why those series don't have such method is because of the difficulty of converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D coordinates.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:36 pm

Hello VH1,

We have arranged a list of the issues you posted recently with their current status in both TeeChart for .NET v1 and v2. You can find the list here.

Could you please review it and let us know what do you think is necessary in v1 for your deployed applications? Please notice that several problems have been fixed, several are implemented in v2 and that it has been almost 2 years since v1 has been superseded by a later TeeChart for .NET release.

This information will be very helpful so that we can optimize our resources on TeeChart for .NET's development.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

VH1
Advanced

Post by VH1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 am

Hi,

Many thanks for that, it is very much easier to see all the issues in this format.

I see most of them are in the "fixed" status for the next release of V1 which is fantastic, thankyou.

Issue 7
This one is the most important, however, I am still investigating this one, I will add some more information for you today.

Issue 19
I feel this issue is important because the users can get the impression the Chart->Axes tab does not work. I feel the Axes are chart based properties and should not be on a series basis (Series->General-Horizontal Axis and Vertical Axis)

E.g. If you have more than one bar series, the 1st series wants to use the top axis and the other does not. The 1st series will always override the 2nd series regardless.
The Chart->Axes tab is perfect and does not need changing, however, I do feel the Series->General-Horizontal Axis and Vertical Axis properties are not required.

Issue 23
As we have introduced the Mark tips tool to our users, it would be nice if we could have this working (2D & 3D, Bar Series, stacking set to None).

I would like to add, that we cannot move to V2 yet as our application is only running in .Net V1. We are looking into migrating it to V2 in the future, or possibly going straight for .Net V3. This has yet to be decided.

As we do not have a licence for V2, I have downloaded the latest evaluation version and have still found some bugs. I will collate a list for you and submit them to the forum ASAP.

Many thanks

Vaughan

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi Vaughan,

You're welcome.
Issue 19
I feel this issue is important because the users can get the impression the Chart->Axes tab does not work. I feel the Axes are chart based properties and should not be on a series basis (Series->General-Horizontal Axis and Vertical Axis)

E.g. If you have more than one bar series, the 1st series wants to use the top axis and the other does not. The 1st series will always override the 2nd series regardless.
The Chart->Axes tab is perfect and does not need changing, however, I do feel the Series->General-Horizontal Axis and Vertical Axis properties are not required.
Axes are generally associated with Series due to the multiple Axis locations that can begin to occur if many Series exist along with many custom Axes, the Axes follow the Series. That has been the basis of the design. Your suggestion for a redesign could not easily be applied to version 1.

The chart editor is quite complex in general as it attempts to offer designers as many Chart elements as possible as an Editor resource. We think that non-technical user could possibly be overwhelmed with all possible combinations, especially if we imagine handling a list of custom axes too. For that reason we have offered the possibility to close down sections of the Editor when displayed to the End user. If it is felt that the area relating to Axes is too complicated we recommend that you disable that tab in the Editor and offer-up the limited simple options you wish to offer your application-users via a custom editor or drop-down option. We will however take your comments into account when developing newer versions of the Editor and may be able to incorporate improved techniques in the future to visualise the Series-Axes relationship.
Issue 23
As we have introduced the Mark tips tool to our users, it would be nice if we could have this working (2D & 3D, Bar Series, stacking set to None).
We will investigate if the problem can be resolved for the next maintenance release.
I would like to add, that we cannot move to V2 yet as our application is only running in .Net V1. We are looking into migrating it to V2 in the future, or possibly going straight for .Net V3. This has yet to be decided.
Please notice that TeeChart for .NET v2 also includes assemblies built and for Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1. So, TeeChart for .NET v2 supports Visual Studio 2003.
Best Regards,
Steema Software